A Real Workhorse
Building on our experience with our award winning DHC-2, we are pleased to bring the renowned DHC-3 Otter to both FSX and Prepar3D.
Our Otter provides a nuanced flight model that closely replicates the real deal, top-notch modeling and textures, custom systems programming, and a ton of configurable options!
Introducing the MilViz DHC-3 Otter
The 'King Beaver'
By 1950, the success of the DHC-2 Beaver was well established. In the chase of larger markets, however, it became apparent that there were certain potential customers that loved the idea of the Beaver - the STOL capabilities, the dependable performance, the utility-friendly design - but simply needed something bigger than what the Beaver could offer. And so the extremely gifted engineering team at Downsview rolled up their sleeves and got to work.
The initial design was referred to as the 'King Beaver'. The key characteristics of the Beaver were retained: The high lift wings, the side door loading, the belly location of the fuel tanks. Although the load capacity didn't quite reach double the Beaver as originally intended, it did come close, with a 3500+ lb useful load capacity versus 2100 lbs on the smaller Beaver. Of course, the bigger aircraft with a larger load to haul needed a larger powerplant, and a geared version of the R-1340 Wasp radial engine was selected.
The end result was a qualified success, with the aircraft carrying on the tradition of being named after Canadian wildlife and being renamed to the 'Otter'. Finding it's own niche in the world of aviation, 466 Otters were manufactured from 1952 until production was wound down in 1967. By that time, Otters had travelled the air above every continent, finding service with numerous military forces, bush operators, governments, and civilian airlines.
Our simulation of the renowned Otter is designed to deliver a realistic and immersive experience, allowing everyone to enjoy the characteristics that brought the real Otter a popularity that continues to this day.
Land Anywhere, Haul Everything
The workhorse capabilities of the DHC-3 Otter are able to be put to the test. Four separate configurations have been included for landing gear: Standard wheels, amphibious floats, skis, tundra tires; each model complete with tuned flight dynamics that accurately reflects differences in performance and handling.
The interior can be outfitted for nearly any adventure you'd like, with separate passenger and passenger/cargo combinations. Individual passenger and cargo locations can be loaded/unloaded in the simulator, allowing for the visual emulation of flying to a destination and back again.
The MilViz DHC-3 Otter features an intricately modeled, true-to-life interior and exterior, with an abundance of fine detail. All gauges, switches and controls feature smooth animation. Custom lighting makes night operations atmospheric and immersive, while high resolution textures with lifelike metal effects and realistic weathering create a simulation like no other.
Accurate & In-Depth
Building on our experience with replicating the DHC-2 Beaver, the MilViz DHC-3 Otter offers a comparable level of systems depth and functionality. Our goal is to create an immersive, true-to-life experience for any simulator pilot, regardless of experience. Choose to fly the Otter by the book, or simply jump in and fly, your choice!
Our Otter goes far beyond the default simulator functionality in order to provide an accurate, realistic recreation of key characteristics and systems functionality. The fuel system is closely emulated; starting the engine requires fuel pressure to be built up in the lines as well as proper priming, and also takes into account battery voltage and engine temperature. The electrical system is closely simulated, with operable circuit breakers present for key systems. The operation of the flaps, operated much like the Beaver with a selector valve and a hand pump, behaves realistically. And a powered tailwheel system has been custom created for this aircraft with a three way toggle switch that allows switching between powered, free castoring and locked.
The dangerous effects of icing is also simulated, with serious consequences for disregarding potentially dangerous flight conditions. Ice accumulation can be hazardous to the Otter, leading to airspeed loss and a stall; freezing rain can disrupt static instruments and cause incorrect readings.
And at the very core of this simulation is a carefully tuned flight model that seeks to impart the unique flight qualities of this STOL-capable workhorse, created by an author with DHC-3 experience.
Highly Detailed KAP 140 Autopilot
The DHC-3 Otter includes our custom coded, very accurate simulation of the venerable KAP 140 autopilot. Faithful to the original, from the font used to the replication of servo drives on the trim wheels and the yoke. The logic used in the KAP 140 has been carefully replicated to deliver one of the most realistic autopilot simulations available. A separate manual for the autopilot has been included.
The MilViz DHC-3 Otter package supports a full range of platforms, in a single downloadable installer:
- FSX: Acceleration
- FSX: Steam Edition
- Prepar3d v2
- Prepar3d v3
- Prepar3d v4
Navigate Your Way
Depending on the era and role you're simulating, we've allowed for an extremely wide variety of options for avionics and third party GPS units. With this package, an extensive amount of compatibility for popular third party gauges and avionics is available. Built-in configuration support from within our MVAMS application is included for the following:
- Flight1 GTN 650 (Single)
- Flight1 GTN 750 (Single)
- Flight1 GTN 650 & 750 (Combo)
- Reality XP GNS 430/530W XP (Combo)
- Mindstar GNS 430/530 (Combo)
- MilViz GNS 430/530 (Combo)
- Or, standard radios only!
Please note that compatibility for the above 3rd party gauges (such as from Flight1, RealityXP, Mindstar) includes support for installation and setup of our product only; use of any of the offered options requires a functional existing installation of the appropriate gauge.
Use of any 3rd party avionics package in any desired simulator is also of course restricted to the availability of the avionics package for that simulator. Please see the respective manufacturers websites regarding platform compatibility for your avionics package.
Included WX Advantage Weather Radar
The MilViz DHC-3 Otter package also includes a copy of the innovative MilViz / REX WX Advantage weather radar. The presence of this weather radar unit in the panel is completely optional - you can fly with or without it! (Please note: The included WX Advantage will only function in the DHC-3.)
Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time.
Special DHC-3 Features:
- Professionally created & tuned, high fidelity flight model including accurate characteristics specific to the DHC-3.
- Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Floats, Amphibious Floats, Skis, each with individually tuned flight models.
- Multiple loadout configurations, with passengers and cargo. Selectable cargo includes a externally mounted canoe!
- Custom fuel system with primer pump; engine start takes into account current engine temperature and includes potential for over-priming & flooding.
- Custom electrical system with display of electrical load and operable circuit breakers.
- Custom over-boosting cumulative damage simulation.
- Custom engine detonation effects with multiple causes.
- Unique flap operation which simulates the usage of the manually operated hydraulic pump and selector on the DHC-3.
- Realistic locked / powered / free-castoring tailwheel simulation
- Icing effects on airframe and static instruments fully simulated.
- Accurately simulated KAP 140 autopilot.
- Richly detailed cabin with beautiful high resolution textures and smoothly animated gauges.
- Realistic and fully adjustable cabin and instrument lighting.
- Authentic sound environment, inside and out.
- Milviz / REX WX Advantage Weather Radar included and available as a 3D panel option.
- Ability to completely hide yoke and column for ease of access to important switches and controls.
- Highly configurable avionics with 3D panel installations for many GPS solutions, covering popular 3rd party add-ons such as Flight1 GTN, RealityXP GNS, and Mindstar GNS.
- Professionally created liveries based on or inspired by real world aircraft.
- Available layer-based paintkit for creating your own liveries.
- Detailed & educational flight manual & detailed autopilot manual.
- Prepar3d V4 compatible!